Monday, March 23, 2015

Banksias and Birds

My art friend Catherine Money and I are embarking on a collaborative partnership that intends to open us up to the notion that everything in nature is interconnected.  Catherine gave me a wonderful quote that will form part of our work ethic:

'Nature speaks softly...you have to listen quietly'  M. Millen

As part of this project we are holding an exhibition of works at Hanasho Florist in West End in July, then for a week in August we are setting up an Artist-in-Residence and Exhibition at Maroochy Bushland Botanic Gardens.

For the Hanasho exhibition, I'm currently working on a series of monoprints focusing on birds and the banksias they feed on.  I've been exploring a technique where my first print in a series is a 'set-up' print.  This means that I'm using the ink on the plate to ink up my objects rather than exclusively manually ink them myself.  The first print is printed onto cartridge and is not a resolved print in any way.  It could form the basis of a collage though, as my mantra is 'Nothing is ever wasted!'.


This is the first print, the 'set up'.
Layering the objects assists in developing
interesting textures and marks on other objects.
White space is normally avoided but
I don't have to worry in this process.

One of the resulting prints.  It features
Coastal Banksia leaves and imagery of
New Holland Honeyeaters in mid flight.

Prints using WA banksia leaves and
imagery of the Little Wattlebird

I've also been having fun with circles and some
thready fibre stuff I bought at the junk shop.
You never know where you can find cool
stuff to print with.

Blue and brown - my favourite colours!
The word 'camouflage' comes to mind
with this print.


4 comments:

  1. Love your work! Please define the word cartridge. Is that the same as card Stock?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sylvia. Cartridge paper is not card stock, its more like drawing paper or sketching paper. Probably about 120gsm, somewhere between photocopy paper and light card. Maybe like good quality scrapbooking paper? I hope this helps.

      Delete
  2. These look wonderful & interesting process !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous as usual. Sounds like a great concept. Waiting for invite.

    ReplyDelete