Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Inspiration and Reconnection

I realised this past weekend that there are times where you don't need to make art, but to use the time to THINK about it.  Which is quite an unusual thing for me.  I always need to be making art, thinking as I go, composing, make decisions on colour, how I want to present my ideas and thoughts.

Last Friday we travelled to Canberra for Craig to compete in an MTBO event (mountain bike orienteering).  I tagged along for company and to have a few days to relax and make art.

I took along my gelli plate and paints and papers, and whilst Craig was out riding, I set up my art studio in the motorhome and got to work.  But it didn't flow, it didn't work.  I wasn't producing anything I really liked.  And I hated that feeling! 

But after another walk in the fresh air amongst the trees and bird calls, I realised that my inability to print (anything that I considered worthwhile) was not a disaster.  What was more important was allowing myself the space and time to reconnect with nature. 

My few days in the forests near Canberra gave me the time to collect leaves, play with my gelliplate, think, think and think.   To listen to the bird sounds floating on the air, feel the stillness at dusk, blowflies buzzing, surrounded by air not walls.   And not being stuck in my normal 'daily' routine.

I am truly thankful for the opportunity.

 
Relaxing outside our motorhome at Namadgi National Park
 
My temporary art studio in the motorhome
Some of the prints, beautiful gum leaves with
lots of damage from caterpillars

Craig checking his GPS on a walk at
Namadgi National Park.
I love this photo as it really shows off
the gorgeous landscape - tall white gums,
wildflowers, and grasses
 
A Satin Bowerbird checking out our offering of
a piece of blue rope. 
He had already taken of our blue pegs back to his bower.
Unfortunately he rejected the rope -
 not good enough to impress his girl I guess!


 
Swamplands at Namadgi National Park

Blue Tongued Lizard by the side of the track.
Didn't get a good photo of the brown snake unfortunately!

2 comments:

  1. Would you mind if I ask how you are getting such detail in the leaves AND a great background? I've been experimenting this week with my Gelli plate and leaves. I don't like the plain silhouette that I get from putting the leaf down on the paint and then the sheet of paper. I prefer the print when I lift the leaf and do another print - but then there isn't much background paint left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, you need to turn your leaves over and make prints from the paint on the leaves. Might take a bit more rubbing, also depends on how quickly your paint dries. I recommend watching Linda Germain's utube videos (or anyone else's videos) and sign up for the Gelli Arts blog. But always remember - the more you do, the more you play and experiment, the more you learn and make it your own. Good luck and have fun!

      Delete