Saturday, July 21, 2012

Magnetic Island Retreat


Last week my partner Craig and I escaped to Magnetic Island, off the Queensland north coast, for a few days of relaxation and exploration in the warmth of the tropics.

Magnetic Island has national park, secluded beaches and stunning coral reefs.  I loved the ruggedness of the large granite boulders and tall hoop pines.  In contrast, I really enjoyed our luxury accomodation on the harbour, watching the comings and goings of the islanders and tourists!  We are normally campers but this time decided on an indulgent 'romantic getaway' package.  I even allowed myself the luxury of a massage.....nice.

But of course I can't go on holiday without my art fix, so this time I took a gelli plate and my paints (a total of 4 kilos of art materials!) and spent an hour or so in the afternoons printing with leaves that I had picked up during the day.

I'm currently working on making some of the envelopes into a travel diary book, using the envelopes to store postcards, photos and other memories of our trip.


A first print using gum leaves and netting
 onto white envelopes

Some of my prints from my first printing day


I'm busy printing, luckily we dined out every day so
I could take over the dining table for my printing station!

now, what have we got this time?

I'm printing onto large tags (thanks Karin!)
as well as assorted papers like cartridge and kozo

Printing onto envelopes.
 I worked with quick drying acrylic paint
so I was able to print on both sides in one session.

Craig & I about to embark on a snorkelling session.
The coral was beautiful but the water was COLD!

1 comment:

  1. Hey great stuff & glad you enjoyed your break Sandra. I went there all the time growing up in Townsville. I'm still buzzing from an Encaustic workshop in Cairns last week, check it out on my blog !

    ReplyDelete