Thursday, June 16, 2011

A discovery

In my previous posts you will recall that I created eco-dyed books with monoprints of ferns.  I had thought at the time that I should call this series of books 'Fossil' as they appeared to reveal the remnants of some ancient flora caught between layers of rock.

Well, I was out mountain biking at Emu Creek, near Benarkin last week and was riding over some tracks that had been disturbed during the heavy rains over summer.  As usual I was in more of an 'art' zone than a 'riding' one and came across pieces of fossilised fern imprinted into rock.  This of course had me stopping and off the bike within seconds, with Craig 50 metres ahead of me wondering what on earth I was doing!  He really should know me by now......

Anyway I was most excited as these pieces of rock gave me the same feeling as the books I had created only weeks earlier.  Its almost as though the inspiration was back-to-front.  I was awestruck at the beauty of the fossil imprints and immediately felt that these could lead me further in more explorations in eco-dyeing and monoprinting.

2 comments: