My favourite monoprinting technique is using stencils, leaves and objects to create layered imagery, but I wanted to explore some more traditional monotype techniques, so we tried subtractive, additive, trace, and pressure printing.
I also wanted to test my Akua inks to see how they performed, instead of my usual oil based etching inks.
Subtractive Monotype - we inked up our plates using rollers, then wiped back the ink off the plate to create our images. The best results for a quick image were using plastic stencils, where we held onto the stencil and wiped out the ink from the stencil design. We also played with cotton tips and other mark making tools.
|Subtractive Monotype using two stencils|
Additive Monotype - well......we didn't have much success using the Akua Inks with this one, perhaps too much blending medium? More work required, but we decided that we had plenty of other creative techniques to explore.
Trace Monotype - this was an easy one that didn't require the press. We inked up our plates, placed a piece of paper on top and drew our designs on the back of the paper. It produced a crisp line when we used pencils, but we could also create tone with our fingers. A simple technique that I used in conjunction with a paper stencil.
|Printing from the Trace Monotype plate, using a|
bird stencil as a resist
|Wendy's Stratograph (or Pressure Print)|
using banksia leaves on handmade paper
|My Stratograph print|
|Print from the Stratograph Plate|
I was pleased with the performance of the Akua inks, and they were super easy to clean up. My intention over the next 12 months is to fully explore their possibilities with the intention of phasing out my oil based etching inks in the long term. Fun times ahead!